Sojourner’s Truth: “I will shake every place I go to”
Enchanted Circle Theater (ECT) invites you to explore an innovative creative education tool based on the life of one of America’s most inspiring champions for freedom.
Sojourner Truth was a brilliant abolitionist, women’s rights warrior, and compelling orator whose bravery continues to inspire today. Her powerful story and captivating voice is reignited in Sojourner’s Truth: “I will shake every place I go to.”
Sojourner’s Truth: “I will shake every place I go to,” written by Enchanted Circle Theater’s Executive Artistic Director, Priscilla Kane Hellweg and Associate Director, Rachel Kuhn is a multimedia creative teaching tool, based on primary source documents.
Sojourner’s Truth directly addresses standards-based themes within the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks, including: Slavery, Abolitionism, Equality, the Right to Vote, Civil War and related themes of economy, and nationalism, and important political and cultural figures of the time.
This multimedia teaching tool transports readers to the Civil War era with primary source documents, historical photographs, traditional Spirituals, and soulful original music captured on a CD of the theatrical concert.
TEACHER EDITION includes:
- The theatrical script, spiral bound in color including primary source documents, historical and performance photographs, authors’ note, bibliography, musicology of the performance, and nonfiction text features (Table of Contents, Glossary, and Index).
- An audio compact disc of the full theatrical concert, including traditional and original musical compositions.
- An additional compact disc of supplemental materials, including: a Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks and Common Core alignment key, a study guide of arts integrated activities addressing curriculum frameworks, and a PowerPoint presentation of historical photographs with captions.
STUDENT EDITION includes:
- Full theatrical script, spiral bound in black and white.
SPECIAL EDITION includes:
- The full theatrical script spiral bound in color including primary source documents, historical and performance photographs, author’s note, bibliography, musicology of the performance, and nonfiction text features (Table of Contents, Glossary, and Index).
- An audio compact disc of the theatrical concert including traditional Spirituals and original musical compositions.
Enjoy a sneak peek from the audio CD!
Track 4: Isabella at John Dumont’s farm. Go Down Moses (Traditional)
“Hellweg and Kuhn’s Sojourner’s Truth is written with special attention to historical accuracy while capturing the incredible drama of Sojourner Truth’s life. The audio CD is a perfect blend of captivating performances from the actors and beautiful musical accompaniment, powerfully incorporating both the music of that era and new compositions specifically written for this historical drama.” – Joseph Carvalho III, Historian, Author
“A book that effectively presents educators with the essential components of a live theatrical performance, as well as the authors’ substantial research on an American icon.”
– Kirkus Reviews
“I learned to give it your best, and don’t be scared to act.”
~ 5th Grade Student, ECT residency